Monday, July 14, 2008

Patching

I had said a few weeks ago I would update on the patching and well, forgot. We went to go see his eye doctor and find out how his eye was doing. He had surgery about 15 months ago for strabismus. For about 6 months before the surgery and ever since we have needed to patch his left eye. Before the surgery we needed to do it 6 hours a day, 7 days a week, which was kinda hard with a just turned 3 year old. Then after it was more like 3 hours a day, 7 days a week. Chris and I got real lax with it and hadn’t done it consistently before this last appt . Well, his eye sight is now 20/40, possibly 20/50. He can see really good out of both eyes at close distances but one you get to far vision, his right eye misses a line that his left can do that would put him at 20/20. The doctor really thinks he can get his eye sight closer to normal with patching and training his right eye to see by patching the left. So, I went and got some new patches which I really like more than the OrtoPad we had been using. I saw a little kid with a cool patch and asked her mom where she got them. The poor mom barely spoke English and I thought she kept saying Fresno Prism, but the beauty of the internet is that you can find anything is you remotely know what you are looking for. It was Fresnel Prism and their designs are just slightly cooler than OrtoPad, but they stick soooo much better so I have a feeling that we can get our 20-25 hours of patching in each week. We have remembered almost every day since the last eye appt. Here is a pic of the little man with a patch on.

Mimi and C


ETA: They added 4 new designs when I went to look just now, so next time footballs and lizards. This past time we got flames, stars, spiders, and trucks.

No comments: