The killing of Trayvon Martin has really upset me. I know I didn't know him, but it hit home. As the Dude grows up, it could have been him or any of his friends and that is why it hits home. I really try to never assume racism in someone's actions, but in this I see racism.
Why I see it as racism:
- The perpetrator called 911 46 times in the last 15 months
- He is quite a bit larger and older than the victim
- He had a gun, Trayvon only had skittles and an iced tea
- He reports the guy as suspicious because he is walking around and wearing a hooded shirt and is black
- He says those mother%& always get away
- He is told not to follow him, yet he doesn’t listen and pursues him
- The cops sided with him, not the kid who was just shot
- Witnesses heard screams for help, you can hear on the 911 tapes it is Trayvon
I really hope that one day soon justice is served for this young man and his family. I cannot imagine the pain they are going through, his mom losing a son, his brother losing his best friend and brother. All because he was walking in a neighborhood and some vigilante assumed ill intent by this innocent young man.
One day soon, my son will be out in this world and it scares me that people will assume he is up to no good simply because the color of his skin.