Tuesday, June 7, 2011

New Baby

We have a new baby. Well, she is now 7 months old. I can’t believe it. We decided after the adoption of Miss M, that we would foster and/or adopt again. I thought we might have to wait a while so we went back active mid-January. Well, January 31st we got a call at ten a.m. about a 3 month old girl. We picked her up at 3:00 pm that day. It was the funniest thing to tell C that we got a baby on the way home from work. Her case is not as clear cut as Miss M. Miss M was 99% sure adoption from the first phone call and was a quick whirlwind of placement, Termination of Parental Rights, file adoption, adoption finalized in one day shy of 7 months. Baby D is still in limbo and will be in limbo for at least 5 ½ more months. I am so surprised at myself, I was such a ball of nerves with Miss M and it was all pretty clear-cut and fast and easy. This will be longer, less clear, more work, etc. But I just live day to day in the present knowing that today we have her, tomorrow we will probably still have her, next month she will probably still be here and most likely she will be spending her first birthday with us. After being nervous all last year and I was still nervous even after the adoption was finalized, I think my mind just said you can’t stress over what you can’t control. Now, don’t get me wrong I have a few moments of worry and anxiety, I can’t imagine us losing her, we love her, and we want her. But we might not get her. It will all depend on what the courts determine. We do know that they won’t review her case again until November. So as of right now, we have her until then. That is unless someone in her family comes forward and is found suitable to care for her.

Now about Baby D. She is a tiny little baby at 14 pounds. She is alert, loves to be held, super snuggly, and firmly attached to us. She is vocal, which is good and bad. Boy does she have a set of lungs on her. On the rare occasions she gets mad, everyone knows it. On the good side she “talks” all the time and it is super cute, she says geeee geeee and babababa and dadadadada all the time. She interacts when you talk to her. Her smile and her laugh light up the room. She smiles the most at C and Miss M. She has been a good sleeper from about 4 ½ months on. Both kids adore her so much. Miss M “reads” to her all the time and calls her day-do and baby. C dotes on her and holds her and calls her day-day bay-bay. He loves to help out with her and let her sit on the couch with him while he watches TV.

I like to say for the most part we live in the moment as a family of five. I always knew I wanted a big family and still love it and smile when I say The 5 of us. They are the most amazing kids and I feel fortunate each and every day that I am blessed with them, I love being their mom.

2 comments:

TP said...

I started going through the GAL training (didn't finish it, but that's a story for another time), and some of the stuff they laid on us about the foster care to adoption process sounded just hugely stressful for everyone involved. Those poor kids sometimes don't get a fair shake. It's great that there are people in the program like your family and that Miss D was placed when she was. Y'all are doing a great thing, even if the future is fuzzy right now.

CandCFamily said...

We love our GAL, he is a retired school principal from NY and really cares about the kids. He goes so far above and beyond for them.