Monday, February 25, 2008

Homework: Homemade Paint

For the dude's homework last night , we made homemade starch finger paint. (See below on directions how). It was a lot of fun for both of us. He loved painting with his hand. He said, "Ms. Jessica says if you mix these colors it makes purple!" It did make purple. If you look at the finished piece, it is mostly purple. I got my hands in it, too. It felt pretty cool.

Of course I procrastinated (was due today). I had to go to three stores to get the soap flakes (or powder laundry detergent) because I was too cheap to pay $6.99 at Target just to use it to make paint. Then the Family Dollar did not take credit. Next had to run home to get one more quarter so I could pay for it at the Dollar Tree. It was all worth it and I am glad we did it, since it was so much fun. Oh and I used my camera time for the first time and set it on the counter to take the one of the two of us holding the paint.

We made 4 different colors of the paint.
Calvin wanted to be part of the art project.

Look at my Goopy Hand! My finished Masterpiece!


What you need?
1 cup of cornstarch, 1 cup of water, 4 cups of boiling water, 1 cup of soap flakes, and paper to paint on
What you do?
Dissolve cornstarch in one cup of water. Add remaining water and cook until thick and glossy. (Cook on medium initially and then low). Next, add one cup of soap flakes. Cool and add tempera paint if a specific color is desired. Explore new finger paint with your child.
Variation
Have your child create a picture using the new finger paint created. Take pictures documenting you and your child making the paint and then exploring the finger paint. Have your child bring in the photos and/or painting to share with the class.
Value
Appreciation, Discovery, Mixing, Following Directions, Color Recognition, Creativity, Pride, Textures

1 comment:

Diario de Elysia said...

LMAO, is that what you wanted the soap for? ha ha ha...cute