Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer Camp

Surfer Dude is in traditional school calendar because he is a magnet student. I love the year round calendar, but I love his magnet school more. So when the summer comes, I am challenged with finding him fun, unique, and cool camps. He loves sports, so a lot of the camps I choose do tend to be sports related. This summer I wanted to have him do at least 2-3 more academic ones. One huge challenge is that some of the camps are not very working parent friendly. How does a camp cost $245/week and end at 2:30. It boggles my mind.

This summer was the first time he didn’t do NC State Soccer. I am sure they didn’t notice me boycotting the camp, but they changed the stop time from 4:00 to 2:30. There was no way I was paying the money to then have to tweak our schedules all week to get him picked up at 2:30.

But, I found him some really cool camps, he did camp at an ice house, a sports center (that ran him so much I did have to pick him up early one day because his head/stomach hurt, which is code for tired), a drama camp where he put on a cool play called Stone Soup, and this week he is doing an academic camp at NC State. He will be there 11 hours a day, eat lunch and dinner there and switch classes. I am super excited. He is, too. He asked if next year he could be an “overnighter” and sign up for Lego robotics as his class next summer. Although he isn’t too happy that TV will be limited this week so he can get to bed at a decent time.

Here is my camper:

Photobucket

What do you do for summer camp, what has been a success and a failure?

1 comment:

Quacken said...

We did the Hunt Center summer camp for two weeks for the girls (just to keep them busy). Drop off at 7, pick up by 6. It was only $45 a week, which included their afternoon snack. Worked out great for us, and they did one trip a week somewhere fun.